Everyone’s got a different idea of what they want the shape of their butt to look like. For me, I had a flat shaped butt and after 3 years, have started to see a much bigger change in my shape and I really enjoy it. I feel stronger through my exercises I do and feel my glute strength carry over into my leg strength.
I will say that my butt now does not fit into my pants like it did when I got really thin. I prefer it this way though. Either way you like your tush, just remember it will take time to develop muscle and a lot of hard work!! Who doesn’t love putting in hard work and feeling the results. Empowerment, self love, confidence, strength, pride….all great things!
I always start off with one warmup set of lighter weights with the first 3 exercises or so and see how I am feeling and then move into bigger weights or higher reps (depending on what you’re trying to do–goal wise).
ALWAYS WARMUP. ALWAYS.
1. You will be getting somewhat of a Leg workout here but it’s secondary. I would recommend doing a separate leg day, your farthest training day away from this, so your glutes get enough rest. You could also lesson the exercises here and just incorporate them into your leg day but if you really want to hit your glutes hard, do this on its own day. I do it once every other week and the other week will do glutes with my legs.
2. Your glutes should be shaky at end of workout, this is a good thing!!!
3. THINK about the mind-muscle connection when performing an exercise. Ie. When I do split squats I think about my glute actually firing and pushing the weight up vs. just thinking about getting through the push. It WILL make a huge difference in which muscle you are isolating if you think about it to create a deeper isolation. and that’s what we want, to maximize that.
We’ll start on the Smith Machine. If you don’t have a smith machine or workout at home, a bench with dumbbells in hand(or none) will work, but it will be more challenging if you have dumbbells than putting your weight back on the smith machine bar.
This is a superset: Repeat for a total of 3 times and rest 1 minute in between each superset
1. 12 reps on each leg—Smith Machine Split Squats pressing through heel with toes on plate *see image above and leg up on bench (driving through your heel, you will be pushing up the weight with your glute, vs. mostly with your quad.
-I started with warmup of 10lb plates on either side of smith machine and then went to 15lb total on each side.
-If you’re not sure what this is..here is a good description http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/smith-single-leg-split-squat
2. 20 reps Stiff Legged Deadlift with Barbell and toes elevated on plate (KEEP BACK STRAIGHT, ABS IN TIGHT AND EYES SOMEWHAT UP SO YOU HAVE A STRAIGHT BACK AND DO NOT GO ALL THE WAY UP BECAUSE WE ARE NOT HITTING YOUR BACK, THIS EXERCISE IS MEANT TO HIT THE GLUTE/HAMSTRING TIE IN.
3. 10/each leg Single legged squats on bench. This may be very challenging for some and I’d say start on a high bench and give it a go. If you can’t get one, this will be a good determinant that you should work your glutes more! :) I go to a short bench and it gets hard QUICK. I will tell you that this is one of the best exercises that always gets my glutes on fire.
The farther away your foot is from the bench, the more glute it will hit vs. quad but you might have to start closer until you feel comfortable.
REPEAT two more times for total of 3 sets.
*I did some single legged jump ropes for my next exercise. It is an amazing thing to incorporate into your training and you’ll feel your calves, legs and glutes burning. 50 reps each side. It is challenging at first but surprisingly enough, becomes easy quick once you get hang of it.
LAST SUPERSET. SAME AS ABOVE
1. Standing Cable kickbacks 20/leg (you’ll need to find a weight that isn’t too heavy)
2. 20 per side. I did 30 lb. barbell. Barbell Side Squats
I always try to imagine pushing my weight back on my glute (no weight on my leg in my mind) and then sticking my butt at an angle backwards.
3. 40 Alternating Box Steps ups on HIGH BOX (maybe shoot for 20 if you are super shaky) Think about pushing through with your glute and when you step back off the box, the farther back you step, and the more distance from your feet to the box, the more glute it’s hitting vs. quad. Weights not needed here.
REPEAT TWO MORE TIMES FOR TOTAL OF 3 SETS
One more round of jumpropes single legged (50 per leg)
20 minutes Stairmill, pushing through glutes.
Remember, when it gets tough, PUSH THROUGH. Be mindful of your body and how far you are pushing yourself. If you feel an unusual feeling, then stop. If your muscles are tired, you can continue on if you’d like but know you will be sore the next day. Just a small disclaimer;)
It WILL HURT, IT WILL BE TOUGH, BUT YOU CAN TOUGH THROUGH IT LIKE A CHAMP AND LOVE THE FEELING OF YOUR MUSCLES GROWING IN THE MORNING! Also, make sure you rest your lower body the next day and maybe even the day after if you are very sore. I promise you those single leg squats on a bench will kick your booty.